Thursday, December 21, 2006

I practiced tonight... I have a feeling that the music building is actually going ot be off limits for the holiday.... so I might not get to practice much this next while.... uh oh...
David was there teaching some of his private students - I caught him before he left. I brought up the topic of needing a piece for my second half jury... while it's not a pressing concern at the moment, I need to have one picked so I won't be in a total panic when my recital is finishing up and I realize I have a whole 10 minutes of music to learn in a short while...
He suggested some things to look up and whatnot but before I left he gave me a score and a recording which he just happened to have in the office. I'm so happy he did.. I think this is the piece I want to play... it's three movements, but the first 2 comes out to exactly the amount of time I need -about 10 minutes.
The piece is minimalist-ish, but not as repetitive as a lot of minimalist music out there....I'm not even sure I would classify it as minimalism... but it has a very static quality to it even amongst a lot of notes. Repetitive hand positions mean that it is not going to be a killer to learn, which is always a plus. Most importantly, it is gorgeous and just a tad heartwrenching (in a good way). A lot of the motives are things that I have used in some of my compositions as well as improvisation. That's not a big deal or motivation in itself, BUT it means that it will lie comfortably in my hands, and it will be musically comfortable in my head as well.
The moral of the story is that I think I've fallen in love already!

In other news, the condo is cold... it had been really hot/warm every time I came home, so I turned the heat down a teensybit, but I couldn't tell a difference, so I put it down quite a bit. It was perfect earlier this evening, but now that it's later in the evening and night time is usually colder, I am feeling a bit chilly.

I have lots of bananas, and they're all ripe.. I have a feeling they will be overripe before I get them eaten... I might have to take them to mom for baking purposes... ooh that couldbe good for Christmas day!!! Maybe Oscar wants to make a trip to St James on Xmas day... that would save me having to drive back and forth an extra time...
anyway, back to the bananas, it was kinda awkward.. I was leaving a message for Chris and I saw a banana sitting in front of me on the piano tonight and my thought process was actually:
'I have lots of those bananas at Binky's... they're getting ripe'... 'Chris lives close'...maybe he would like to help eat bananas... I should make the offer'..
So, on his voice mail I rambled about having lots of bananas, so if he had a craving for banana, he should call me..... but I started to laugh at how phallic the invitation could seem.

And, I'll point out how ridiculous I am by wasting that much of my blog space on bananas...
I bought small to medium sized bananas.. why?! I had the chance to get big bananas... actually they didn't have big banans at the store, and all of the bananananananas were fairly ripe anyway.... I should have just bought fewer bananas...
oh well.
Open invitation to all who enjoy bananas.... come here and I shall share.

1 comment:

JKLJKLJ said...

Best entry ever.