Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Dress Rehearsal tonight... the stuff leading up to it wasn't going my way, but that aside.. I still thought my playing was getting better with each go at it.
It was a new piano that I wasn't used to and my teacher was there and Tiffy too, so those are the excuses for it not going so hot.
Thank you Tiff, Im glad it wasn't just my teacher there. He pointed out that I could blame some of the stuff on nerves, but whats gonna happen with its the real thing and many more people... in all honesty, it wil make me play better, I live off the energy I get from an audience. 2 people was pretty much just like a lesson scenario, which I find extra nerve racking... cause you know how impossibly hard it is to please them.
anyway, on the basis that we don't have any time to waste in preparing for this recital, David's commentary was all negative, or constructive. He reinforced the fact that I play very well and musically, BUT the technical imperfections really distract from my musical intentions.
The diagnosis is that i need to concentrate almost exclusively on technical elements and getting the music into my fingers and brain. He feels confident that they musical stuff will remain and it comes naturally... I can't argue. So that is what I will do.
I started tonight with the Mozart and did the Theme and Variations movement. I went through like a machine and practiced everything so that I could play it perfectly. It's the kind of thing I need to keep doing... I wish I had gotten more done, but time just wouldn't allow. Fortunately, that represents about 13 of 45 minutes of my recital(almost a third), which is more reassuring than calling it a third of one of five pieces in my recital ( one fifteenth).
Tomorrow is rehearsals for festival starting again thursday and then a lesson at which David and I will just go over practice methods and their application to my recital program... in other words a lessons worth of super productive practicing.
alas, its 3:30 in the morning and I need to wake up probably sooner than I will be asleep if I were to get done that which I need to do!
gnite

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

mikeeeeeey!
no problem, i was glad to be there for you! - and i conveniently left as david was 'commenting' (aka saying bad things)
I kinda agree with him - i thought your musicality in all the pieces was excellent! i closed my eyes during the mozart, and just relaxed and it was sooo beautiful. Everthing was so even, and it all just seemed to flow so nicely. But then, of course, if you loose your spot or make a mistake, then the flow is lost, or 'interrupted'.
I think you're going to do excellent next week! Although i'm a little concerned about your involvement in the festival, but you already know that i think you're crazy.
I can't wait until tuesday, lemme know if i can do anything!

Anonymous said...

I showed our favorite Cara Bear your poster and we had a good laugh, but its the fun stuff we've come to expect from you, kooky kid. I think you really need a good piano lounger for the recital. I'll bring my foam finger!!!

Michael Park said...

excellent, thank you both.
tiff, you definately had that"i feel awkward so I'm going to leave" look on your face as you left
FOAM FINGERS... they're highly encouraged