Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The letter V

There's been lots of blogging about this new "V is for Vendetta" movie, but I haven't seen it, nor do I intend to, nor do I intend to blog on it, just the letter.
Sometimes I feel guilty for saying 'vee'. I think it's part of the zee versus zed conditioning.. but V is the only other letter I feel this way about, and I don't know why... oh well.

I am Canadian, and I always read the letter Z as 'zed' when isolated, but I strongly feel that in the alphabet song, the letter MUST be sung zee in order to preserve the rhyme scheme.
for example:
a b c d e f GEE
h i j k lmno PEE
q r s t u VEE
w x y and ZED?!?!?!
the zed doesn't cut it, and while there is an argument that the change to the rhyme scheme presents some form of finality.. that argument ignores the closing 2 lines of the poetry:
now i know my a b CEE's
next time won't you sing with MEE
which continue the set rhyme scheme.

There exists the possibility that this song was invented in early american colonies, and when the rhyme scheme and melodic rhythm didn't line up, they changed their pronunciation guidelines for the alphabet in order to make them feel more succesful in their musical endeavours...
wow, perhaps one of the most fundamentally inportant songs of american folk music is ABC..!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll sing with you friend! Ahem....

A B C D E F GEE
H I J K L M N O PEE
Q R S T U VEE
W X Y and ZED
Can't believe what you just said!
You're crazed logic hurts my head!
Please stop thinking- go to bed!
Or more songs might wind up...dead.