Monday, March 20, 2006

I think it's safe to say that things are going well for my post-recital life. I'm still waiting for marks and comments from that, but I'm not worried.
I wasn't needed at the dance studio today, which i was informed when I got there... I ended up sitting in on a bit of a modern dance class, trying to figure out how that class structure works and what kind of music can be used.... the answer is ANYTHING. They are so open and accepting there. I realise that I won't have any problem playing for modern classes...
Im almost done the book I got from the library on Saturday about modern dance. Im super impressed at having read over a hundred page book, and I only started yesterday (maybe a bit on saturday...). Interesting stuff, and it's got some creative juices flowing, I'm really looking forward to some collaborating with modern dancers.
After the dance place, I had about an hour before my chamber coaching, so I used it to practice the piece.... such a good idea. and I was so productive!
The members of my group and also the coach/teacher were inpressed with the improvement.... and that was only about an hour, without looking at it since weeks ago... imagine if I spent more time on it.... actually, that is the plan. Havign turned down that musical accompanying gig, my only 2 playing things are the jury sonata, and this chamber piece. I'm gonna really learn it well cause it's not too easy, and I really want to do a good job.
The Scarlatti is coming along nicely too. I think this will be the most prepared for a lesson I will have ever been. I've used the practice methods and whatnot, and I will play the sonata for David perfectly, though not up to tempo. I'm doing well to play the notes accurately, but I'm also going for stylistic goodness and shaping; all of which are coming nicely into play. I also want to learn more rep over the next while so that I can write it down on my rep list, which should be beefed up. I want at least a few more pieces to write down, even if I don't learn them to completion.
The piano faculty want to see that you have worked on other things, besides that which you play in recital and jury: So far, I have a Grieg lyric piece and a Brahms Intermezzo, both of which I played for David once... which is all I need to have done to write it down. I'll talk to David and get him to suggest maybe another Scarlatti sonata or some character pieces, or anything really. Oh, there was also aMozkowski etude that I played for him at the beginning of the year, which I had worked on over the summer. Anyways, I need to keep busy...
but also I need to keep in mind that CMC is comign up and I need to keep the Brahms, Bach, and Scriabin in good shape for that first round.
So ya, in terms of playing piano, I think that I have made that extra bit of shift that will help me to be more professional and learn rep faster. The approach to this Scarlatti and Beethoven lately is a good thing, and I need to keep up that momentum so that it becomes habit.
I had my composition lesson today, and we vaguely talked about preparation for the 2nd piece... which I really need to get going on. We only had a short talk and then decided that we could wait til I had made a good start on the piece before we'd meet again... leaving next week's lesson hanging in the wind. My other, first composition is now in the rehearsal phase and I'm so excited to hear it performed/rehearsed and to get the feedback from the performers. They've invited me to sit in on some rehearsals, which i will, but I still want to leave it much up to them, so more than anything, it will give them opportunity to ask questions of me and clarify things.
Oi, theres more to say, but i'm out of words

No comments: