Monday, March 06, 2006

First composition in good shape!

Thats what my comp prof told me today. He gave me permission to now, after giving this final movment to the performers, ignore it until after my recital. All that is really left to do is to make a few cosmetic changes and see if I can't make my intentions a little more clearly defined. Those aren't pressing, so I just have to take care of them before I hand in the final copy for coursework.
I feel so good right now for a few reasons:
1) no festival til thursday, so relaxing to not be doing that every day...
2) barely any classes this week
3) my recital runthroughs are getting progressively better so I feel progressively better about it. I am now comfortable with the amount of playing and staying focussed for the whole run. This was not the case every just before the weekend. Listening to the recordings is great, I can hear exaclty what I have to clean up and take note of it and then practice that specifically before the next run through.
I can't think of other reasons at the moment, but all is well.
I picked up more accompanying for the festival... cause you know the amount before wasn't enough.... one of them is a piece I'm already playing, so no prob there, playing for 3 people in one class. The other is new time and new piece... and it's on Thursday... ARTGGH!BH!
BUT i just spent an hour getting the notes in my fingers and ya, I feel good now. It's neither easy nor difficult, average amongst pieces of that level, so yes, I think it will go just fine.
lately, I've been thinking a lot about Grad studies and options..concerning dance/music combo study. So far the options I've uncovered are University of Cape Town, South Africa or Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC. I'll keep looking. Cape Town would be a MMus and Simon would be a MFA...I will still compare pros and cons, but ya. I'm still not even sure what direction Im going in. But I seem to like the philosophy of the Simon Fraser School MFA program... although Cape Town allows you to customize your program just as much and the Dance program is uber integrated... if you take dance, you get a MMus in Dance... I could get a degree in dance.. if I encorporate dissertation and choreography..... who knows.
Alas, back to practicing, maybe supper first, then an evening of productive....
oh thats right, I still have to make little changes to the Songs For Nana composition and then take it to the singer/pianist.... funfunfunfun!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay!
1) for posting. i was getting worried for a minute there...
2) for being done something! it's so good to have something to put aside for a bit. one less thing, you know?
3) for no class. Now, i havn't been to many of my accoustics classes these past 2 weeks, but now i don't have to go at all. greatness.
boo for picking up another class, but you know the reasons. Yay for keeping grad school in mind without going totally crazy.
oh, and yay supper.
(don't ever take supper for granted.)

Anonymous said...

If you get a music/dance degree, I'll make sure to draw a framed picture of you in a tutu!!!Then you can throw potato chips all over me and we're pie each other to seal the deal!! It would be super cool if you got a degree related to dance, I'm super excited and proud!!! Oh, and Songs for Nana reminds me of Nana... she's so proud too and wants to hear you play. OK, as your lovely sister would say, Chow

Michael Park said...

Thanks Tiffy! I didnt go to 20th last week because of festival... so I just wont go to that class for 2 weeks and a bit.. Im fine with that.
Fi- there is going to be a recording made of my recital, so we can get a copy to your nana and granddad to listen to, and then I'll play live for them another time. I'm assuming she's still in Texas and not here for the recital, oh well