Sunday, March 12, 2006

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!!!

Wow, what a good day so far.
I had a second and final rehearsal/runthrough with Deanna and her teacher today. We perform in the music festival tomorrow. Things must have gone well because she didn't tell Deanna to hire a better accompanist while I was there... and furthermore she thanked me for the work I've put in and said we had good ensemble. In other words, all is well.
Also today was my piano lesson. Odd day and time, but really.. my recital is 2 days away.
I thought things went pretty well, I wasn't gonna get my hopes up; there are still things I need to practice more and more and tidy things up. Long story short: David is very happy with the change that has taken place in 4 days and he gave me the official approval/thumbs up/vote of confidence; and of course bemoaning the fact that it could have happened months ago... which it could and should have, but didn't, oh well.
Also, he paid me the biggest compliment today, probably without knowing it. During the run through, I ended the Bach sort of half-assedly. It was supposed to be big and bold, as he saw fit... but I didn't play it that was cause I wasn't convinced. He called me on it and told me I had to do the loud end.. but I said I didn't agree, so he said, 'well, if you are going to get quieter you have to shape it with dynamics and time... I wouldn't agree with it, but you at least have to do something with it' So I played it for him getting softer and well shaped to which he replied 'now that was beautiful, Michael. I will never doubt your musical intentions and I couldn't call the way you finished that into question" pointing out that he would only ever question the notes, if i wasnt playing them accurately. The best part though was when he said that the way I played the end even had him questioning his interpretation of the close, which he had been so adament about staying loud.
Maybe, I'm reading into it too much, but I'm fine with that.
Anyway, I'm glad to have reached a level of minimum preparation... now I can work even harder to make sure that the recital will be extra spifftacular! So much more practicing between now and then, yay!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you!!! You seem to have a way with interpreting music and bringing the emotion into it- bravo!! Must be why I'm always so moved by your playing of the various versions of The Friendly Giant. When you compose an amazing piece in the futue, you must dedicate it to me and call it The Friendly Giant, regardless of copyright laws. This is my new dream, along with the bowtie I expect you to wear on Tuesday!! Oh, and congrats on the gold I heard from my secret source you won at festival!

Anonymous said...

Yay Michael!
I told you your improvement was cause for applause! I know David was going to be impressed by the changes you made in your music in such a short time.
I'm looking forward to your recital, i'm excited for you, i know you'll do well!

just so you know
MICHAEL PARK IN CONCERT at
EVA CLARE HALL
TUESDAY MARCH 14
8:00 PM
FREE! AND RECEPTION TO FOLLOW!
(be there!)

Julie Kertesz - me - moi - jk said...

Alas, I am too far, but I'm sure there is a joy to be recognised as good, even better than that!

But... best, believe in yourself! Whatever one sais of your play, if You know you made progress,relatif to you as before, that is a wonderfull feeling!

Michael Park said...

thank you all for being so supportive now and all along.
It has helped so much.
Julie, the recital will be recorded, so I will get you a copy somehow.