Wednesday, October 18, 2006

good test

I think I did well on my orchestration - woodwinds test today. It felt good, and I caught myself making a stupid mistake, but I rectified that quickly enough. The prof left the room for a meeting, which I thought was a little unkosher, but at the same time, since he didn't actually reappear until 10 minutes after the end of class..I'm glad he did, because I needed the extra time.
I also finally got ahold of the scores for the new music piece I will be learning. It is a series of graded pieces, adn I made photocopies of the ones that have to do with clusters. They're by Gyorgy Kurtag, ca. 1981. The early ones are really fun, they are a beginner's approach to the piano, without the worries of right notes or whatnot. While these won't be too technically challenging(at all), they will give me the challenge of finding the musicality within the mashing of the keyboard with palms or arms.
On the bus ride home, I got to have a talk with the prof who is organizing the improvised music ensemble at school. It was great to talk about some of the other experiences I've had with improvising outside of the school. It was also interesting that he was interested in hearing some suggestions I might have in terms of the school ensemble....
I'm almost done the final variation left to write in my set. I'm going to throw a rough draft at my pianist tomorrow and see if the notation is clear and if she has any comments/suggestions. Freedom is so close, I can almost taste it....
On the bus today, I think I had the breakthrough that will and/or has allowed me to envision the form as a whole for the ensemble piece!! Yippee!!

No comments: