Friday, October 13, 2006

so much for trying to relax my thumb and avoid playing piano.....
I worked accompanying musical theatre classes tonight for 3 and a bit hours...
Tomorrow is my usual 6.25 and then i took on another class on sunday.
boo, oh well

umm, i'm having a bit of writer's(composer's) block with this last variation. Nevertheless, Diane has and is learning the other movements, so. i don't even understand how that justifies my position... i guess it doesn't. The moral of the story is that I have my compositional efforts on a timeline. This last variation needs to be done by early next week at the latest...hopefully by the end of the weekend. Once that is done, I can ignore it until I have to write up the performance and program notes... which I will get Diane to help me write, by talking to her about what I need to say to the performer aside from whats on the page.
Next weekend is the trip to Churchill, which I am counting on to give me inspiration for the other piece I'm working on. The form is starting to finally take shape.....
I had thought I had found the perfect form early on... but then I realized that it was kinda mathematically impossible for things to work out the way I had wanted. I've been putting a lot of thought into it lately, and by re-examining what effect I want and which aspects of the piece are most important, I've been able to find logical formal designs that can fit the piece. I started with the final movement, and I'm working backwards. I made notes about what was left in the air with the last movement,a dn then I've been sculpting the second-to-last movement to address those concerns. in a piece with so much chance involved, it's good to know which guaruntees are required and find a way to make them turn out.
The idea is that I will have the form worked out this week and then I will discover musical inspiration while watching polar bears in Churchill next weekend.

No comments: