Wednesday, October 04, 2006

wow, when I decided to do this post, I was in a worried state. but I will end the post in a better mood because of the little walk I just took...
I'm worried because I only have one piece that has made enough progress since it's last appearance in lesson that I can play for my lesson tomorrow. The reason is poor prioritzing both of practicing itself as well as the work I did during the practicing. The Bach. While there was a large section in the middle which I had not touched as of last week, I now have the whole fugue learned and 10 metronome markings faster than the bulk of it was last week. This was a good accomplishment, BUT it translates into at the most - half an hour of lesson time- if I'm lucky.
I haven't had a full 2 hour lesson since I started back, because I just don't have enough of the rep under my fingers yet, to work on for that long of a lesson... but I do this forever... I want to be taking advantage of my lesson time. Even though it is neither David nor my favorite thing to do, I think I will have him do guided practicing with me tomorrow on the most difficult parts of the pieces. This way I know I have a secure and good start on those sections - also there is a theory that it will give me incentive to do the work on my own in the future, so I won't have to do that at my lessons.

Now, for the happy news... I found eggnog in my fridge!!!
I didn't even know they made it this time of year, but it suppose it is close enough to thanksgiving... regardless, YUMMY

more good news. I have picked my pianist to premiere my piano variations!
Diane!
I had wanted to hear a few of my colleagues play it and make a decision of who I wanted. I heard one and then one of the people told me today that he wouldn't be able to do it...I was a little worried because I had a preconception that he would be the best to play it (pretty much unfounded). Anyway, I had my Korean sister Diane play it for me tonight -
She had the character and the phrasing down perfect - just as I felt them, but I hadn't notated those things or told her. I also had her play it in a few different manners - using the music as a shell and expecting openness to change and some kind of improvisation. Needless to say, I was very impressed with her playing of my piece and I am excited to work with her on this project! Now, I need to really buckle down and get the music finished up so she can start learning the rest of it.

ANyway, off to bed with me, it's an early morning and a very long day ahead of me!

3 comments:

Jonathan Evans said...

you can't have eggnog until at least November! it's a rule! In any case, send me some in the mail, I doubt I'll see any here in HK

Anonymous said...

Well, it must feel good to have a pianist that's going to do what you want with what you've written.

Diane's good with instruction, so you've definitely made a good choice there!

Also, now you and your long-lost Korean sister can bond, thanks to composition!

Michael Park said...

hmmm,jon - you aren't allowed to send liquids on a plane... so I assme you can't mail it... yes that's the reason I'm not sending you any.... although that would be funny. it was so delicious.
d-money - yes, time for korean sibling bondage! She was very good at both playing what was notated as well as taking suggestions and making them apparent in her own way.