Sunday, December 11, 2005

I can touch my toes, and I'm damned proud of that!

The other night I went toboganning with Cara and Fi, and Cara was making fun of the image of me trying to fold my legs up on top of the curl part at the front when I was sitting in the front section of the sled. I'm sure this was pretty funny actually cause I am not a small person; I am also not a flexible person. Cara asked me "can you even still touch your toes?" to which I immediately replied "of course".
I had never thought of everything involved in that question all at once, but it suddenly hit me what a prominent thing that is.
The reason Cara said 'still' was because she obviously remembered a time which had slipped my mind. In high school, during one of the musicals, we were all seeing who could touch their toes. I remember that I could only barely do it, and it hurt a fair bit. Evan couldn't do it at all, like barely past his kness: very entertaining.
At this point I kinda figured that stretching was somethign that if you do, it will be easier so I made a point of touching my toes as often as I could, and sure enough it got easier. Then it turned into my warmup routine at Jack Andrews. This routine consisted of putting my cash float in the till, checking the candy drawer for new exciting candy, then touching my toes. And I was usually working a fair amount in highschool, for a part time job. Somehow it made its way into my daily life and now, I touch my toes every day at some point. Usually in the shower in the morning as my wake up routine.
Honestly, it's pretty much everyday. Only when I sleep in or something do I not.
Anyway, I realise this probably doesn't matter much, but Cara was right. Looking at me and comparing it to high school there is no reason to believe that I should be able to touch my toes. Im not flexibile in other parts of my body, and I have a large belly that is in the way now. So I am quite proud of my dedication and consistancy and continued ability to touch my toes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is the most adorable story ever.
I'm so proud of you.

Anonymous said...

You go "girl"! (Phrase used for inherent enthusiasm. Not to be taken literally. Some assembly required.) It's awesome just how trainable and customizable our bodies are. The more I use my brain, the easier it does.