Tuesday, December 20, 2005

well, i had sorta been teeter-tottering about it, but today i actually went and applied for the Principal Pianist job at the Ballet School. The deadline came up so soon, because they only put it up a short while ago at the ballet, most likely cause they wanted to catch people off guard. Add to that the fact that I had been working on my paper... didn't give me much opportunity to put together a good application package.
The wanted a letter of application, a CV and a recording of a performance within the last year. They got: a letter of application, a resumé and a recording of the Reign of Sound concert from Oct, which features me playing two solo pieces.
I'm quite ignorant to the internal politics at the ballet, so I'm wondering if they already had someone in mind from elsewhere, maybe someone that Shannon reccomends, cause they did post the job announcement in national music things. In all honesty, I don't know if either of the other people who I heard were going to apply would meet the qualification expectations. I don't think either of them has done any performing in the last year...or more... One of them is crazy and frazzled enough that she probably wouldn't have gotten organized to even apply in such a short timeframe. The other one doesn't even want to play much any more, she wants it more as an organizational job. All things considered, I think they're both great people and awesome to work with, I wouldn't mind working for either of them really.
On the other hand... since I started putting the letter and stuff together, I realise that I would love this job. It would mean better pay = salary, more challenging and rewarding work, it would command respect. The only slight problem is that I'm a student and I don't really know what exactly the expected workload is. Nevertheless, they are hiring someone halfway through the school year, and I know they are willing to compromise. In terms of next year, It's all performance based, and I have enough credits to not have to worry about taking courses in the morning.... I could easily work the schedule around it.
Anyway, let's notget too far ahead of ourselves Michael... it would be great, but Im not getting my hopes up. At the very least, my application will bring me to the attention of some people and they'll realise that Im more serious about things than I think they view me as being. Nevertheless, it's always good to look at options where there might be an opportunity for stability, especially looking forward to my future as a random musician....
I also went shopping for presents today... did you know they make perfume(a men's cologne) that smells like suede? if only it weren't 50$, i would buy it for my sister... but alas thats too much for something she probably would use 50$ worth.. but ya, just going out and about today, I now have ideas for what I should be getting her

No comments: