Thursday, December 15, 2005

Sense of Accomplishment

I just did it. I finished a book!
This might seem like a sad and pathetic meek accomplishment to be proud of, but I haven't been able to actually do this in the past year and a bit or so. The book was "Alice's adventures in wonderland", which is only 110 pages or so, but I am still proud.
It's not like I haven't been reading at all; I have started reading lots of books and articles, as well as research reading I've done for papers and whatnot. The bad thing was that I've been lacking that sense of accomplishment coming from actually reading a piece of literature in it's entirety.
About a year ago, I tried to force myself to do this by starting to read 2 things: 1) Churchills 6-volume set on the second world war 2) Some random short french book. The idea behind it was that having two reading projects going, I would discourage myself from the big one and focus on the smaller one and get that one done... It was an interesting theory, but I failed miserably. With Alice, I started reading the other night, and then this afternoon, I forced myself to just read. It really didn't take much forcing, for it was an entirely delightful book and I'm glad I did read it.
I hope that this will change the way I have approached reading this last while. I really want to read Hindemith's A Composer's World which I have started already, and there are quite a few books lying around the house that need to be finished off.
I think this is also a representative movement in my life. The other night when I went to Papa Georges and worked on composing/finishing that piece I had started in the summer, Im now determined to finish it. Also, in terms of practicing and recital preparation, I am making it my goal to actually have my repertoire learned long before the recital date, because I want the pieces to feel finished. It's like my concerto, the second time around, I actually felt like I had polished it and learned it, and the practicing was merely to keep the notes in my fingers.
Who knows, perhaps this is a move towards me becoming a more complete person.
Speaking of completion, that is what I need to do with my Mozart paper for Piano Rep... oh, but wait. I suppose I have to start it before it can be completed... n'est-ce pas? That is on the plate for tomorrow definately, perhaps tonight. It needs to be handed in on Monday, so it's going to be an all encompassing weekend project! Yippee!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quick question. Did you read "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" because:

(a) you never read it as a child and felt that was the only thing your early life was missing

(b) Chris read it and said it was good

(c) I read it and said it was odd

(d) you thought it might have tips on how to obtain and use opium

(e) two of the above

(f) all of the above

Hmmm? Now be honest, cause if you lie, I'll know it. And lies make Baby Jesus cry...

Michael Park said...

I will go with (e).
Chris and your opinions definately got me interested in it. The opium thing is a constant wishful thinking in the back of my head, but i wasn't silly enough to think that could help me obtain or use opium... thats what the interweb is for!

Julie Kertesz - me - moi - jk said...

Thank you for your comment and reading my journal too and asking yourself: did she got her driver permit finally, and when?

That is what a good book should do, make you to read, not because you have to but because it makes you courious "now what"? how will she, or he got through this problem and will they? could they? when and how? and now? so on.

If, you read my journal, and in french too, it makes me delighted! and today being a solitary day so far for me it means even more, thanks, Michael,

julie