Friday, December 30, 2005

The End is Near, goodbye 2005

Well, it appears to have finally entered into the first few hours of the last day of 2005.
Most years, it takes me a good couple months, maybe even half a year before I comprehend what the year is, and write it properly on paper/cheques/whatnot. This year has been different; Since the end of summer, I've been running on 2006 already. The reason is that for school registration it always asks you to specify which term you are talking about... which is the regular term of 2006 "06r".
It really doesn't make a difference though, now that I have wasted your time and reading resource. Im not a temporally-minded person...at all. It's such a contrast when i talk to my friend Fiona... she has the most amazing memory. She places everything in relation to random events, and can recall the date(day of week, month, day, year) of pretty much any event, regardless of magnitude in the past 4-6 years with exactitude that I can not comprehend. My version of placing events is more based on similarity of actions and reactions in relation to my development. Sometimes I will be able to relate memories to pieces of music that I have played, and the most specific I can get would be to say, that it must have been in the first half of my second year of university...
I tend to remember my reactions to events, so if I have matured in my reactions quickly at some point, it will seem like a longer time between events than it actually was.
As a result, I find it hard to look back on this year and it's events, because I can't isolate in my mind which events happened when, and I really don't think it's worthwhile to try taking out a calendar and trying to figure it out...
I have often wondered what would happen if I was accused of some crime and I coulnd't have an alibi because I couldn't remember and didn't have anything on my calendar... I would probably be convicted... I guess I'll just have to learn that lesson the hard way some day... seems to be the way to go lately.
Oh YA! the wedding tonight. It went smoothly and SO SHORT!!!!!!!! I think it maybe lasted 20 minutes in total, 25 max. The sound guy that only had to play a CD before the service for 15 minutes didn't show... so at 10 minutes before the ceremony, I was sent to play some background music. I should have charged them more money, but oh well, it was only the difference of sitting in a room for 15 minutes, or randomly improvising stuff. People were actually very happy with my playing, as I could tell from their faces. I did a little bit of musical quotation as well. I love doing it so that its just barely noticeable, only the people actually listening will hear it. One lady recognised that I threw in a smooth version of the opening March from The Nutcracker. It was wonderful, she smiled and looked knowingly at me, then her son gestured to her 'why are you smiling' and she told him to listen, then he also heard it and was delighted. That alone made my evening. Other than the soundguy, i believe the wedding went quite well.
After I got home, Fi and I went to Perkins for tea and knitting... actually no tea was consumed at all but we had a good time. We made new friends. A middle aged couple started talking to us because it IS weird to see to young people knitting in public, especially when one is a guy. They were nice enough, and the guy was quite talkitive. It gave Fi and I a chance to remeniss about our road trip... as we got approached in the same manner nearly constantly on the trip. Fiona was back to her excessive eating tonight, which I actually haven't seen much of the last while, atleast not the last times at Perkins. Im so proud!
Oh, oh and ya, after I left the wedding, I was walking down a back lane to my car and from a window some guy yells "Hey, stay there, I'm gonna throw something at you". Don't think I mistook him... he didn't mean that he wanted to throw something TO me like a present... he meant what he said. I didn't stand there waiting however, I kept moving and sorta laughed. I wasn't nervous about being injured or anything, but maybe I should have been... when I drove by after, he did huck something that landed just behind my car... it didn't look particulary dangerous though. Interesting area, after the rehearsal, there was a couple carrying random boxes into one of the buildings, and the guy was wearing a housecoat as a jacket... I complimented him of course on his stylishness.
Anyway, enough out of me for tonight... perhaps more as the day unfolds...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Mork, you don't need a calendar, that's why you have me! If you need an alibi, you can ask me... my two talents in life are excessive eating and discustingly accurate memory. It's my part in the circle! I bring what I can... knitting fun!!