Tuesday, December 06, 2005

A new word?

"meme"
Is this a new word that has recently started to be used? It is a word I have never heard in conversation, but have recently seen it several times on the internet, blogs in particular.
I know that I don't have the richest vocabulary, but I find it odd that I've never heard of this word before. I looked it up, and it seems to be a sociology term.
I'm kinda confused and speculative of this concept relating socio-cultural elements to those of genetics. There is little one can do to alter aspects that are in their genetic makeup, but are we willing to be so weak minded as to claim that how we were raised in society will permanantly define our functions? I would hope not. It seems like they are trying to create a word for "social habits", giving it more authority in the process.
Anyway, I will state here that I do not like this word and concept. Please defend it, if you wish, and perhaps enlighten me.
Regardless, please comment and let me know if this is a word that you use in common conversation and I have just been oblivious to it, or if it actually is a fairly recent happening.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Meme" in a blog context refers to a set of questions/fields that are filled out by the blogger and posted for the amusement of the readers of the blog. Bloggers who are known to the author of the meme are 'tagged' - which is to say they are to repeat the process on their own blog. This turns the questionnaire into a social event throughout the wider blogging community, hence the adoption of a sociology term.

Michael Park said...

fuck that shit!
It makes me angry that people would so blatantly give more credit to the world of blogging, or the internet world than it deserves.
I don't think I'll ever understand this bloggging subculture.
PS I also hate the use of the term (read ...), they don't actually intend for me to read anything... and I end up searching through their archives for a post with the title of what was in the brackets!!
mumbly mumbly whore!