Thursday, January 19, 2006

ELECTIONS!

I remember the first time I voted... I wasn't registered to vote so I had to bring ID and show that I was from that riding. This got me thinking... I know every citizen has the right to vote, but they limit which riding it is in. This made me think of homeless people, or people of no fixed address... What is their procedure? After some prodding on the Elections Canada website, I found part of an answer, regarding homeless people, assuming they are living homeless within a riding.
This is taken from that wesite.
" Can a person who is homeless vote?

Yes, an elector who is homeless or without a fixed address can vote, if he or she registers on the voters list during an election. To register, the elector must provide proof of identity and the address where he or she is staying.

Proof of identity can be an official document bearing the elector’s name and signature. For residence, the address of a local shelter is acceptable, if the shelter has provided food, lodging or other social services to the elector. Without such proof, a person who is homeless can register on election day by taking the prescribed oath as to identity and residence, as long as another voter who is registered in the same electoral district can vouch for that person."

When it comes down to it, if you truly are of no fixed address... if you want to exercise your right to vote, you are limited to voting ONLY in a riding where you know someone who can vouch for you. But... what if you are a person of no fixed address and on election day, you are in a new town where you don't know anyone. Anyone who were to vouch for you, not knowing you, is a disgrace to the trust we must have in the electoral system. And trusting that there aren't people like that, our friend... the wandering person of no fixed address has been denied his right as a Canadian citizen to vote.
And truly, is he not just as much a Canadian, if not more than we others... ?
I proclaim this to be a huge injustice to our friend, the vagabond! and on a broader notion,, if it effects him, it effects me, and the whole nation!
I will not stand for this!!!!!!!!!!!!
I demand ELECTORAL REFORM!!!

Im actually think I might call up my candidates closer to the election and saying something like " I would like to inform you of an injustice. I would like to vote for you in the upcoming election, but alas, I am but a meager vagabond who has arrived in a city where I know noone. I have noone to vouch for me, and therefore do not have the right to exercise my right to vote. What am I to do. Surely if you value my vote as that of a Canadian citizen, you will demand electoral reform."
anyway, thats for later.... also on that page of questions... I found the following:
Is someone allowed to eat a ballot?

please go there... they give FAR too much effort into answering this question.. nevertheless, I wonder what they would say if I asked if I could eat my ballot when I went to vote. I also wonder what the penalty is for eating a ballot, or other wise commiting a serious breach of the Canada Elections Act?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems like no one has time to comment anymore. So here's my comment. I want to encourage everyone to go out and vote, especially people our age, 18-24. Most of us don't vote and that is a large chunk of voters. In our riding (Charleswood / St.James) we must vote, because the Conservatives only won by ~400 votes last time. Every vote counts, and it could make the difference between a win or a loss.