Thursday, January 12, 2006

phooey!

Well, a little earlier this morning, I had a phone conversation with the ballet lady.
It turns out her reason for calling was close to number 2, but with ruminations of number 1. Well, not really, let me explain.
She said that because I am a student still enrolled in classes, she wanted to make sure that I understood the requirements of the position before we went any further with the application process. Apparently the position is full time, and they have an expectation of high availability. These two points basically killed my chances. I explained to her that next year, I would be taking a limited number of courses, and would be able to probably fulfill the playing requirements.
My assessment that they would be willing to compromise for the remainder of this year was proven wrong with her response "Well, we are hiring to fill this position now, not in the future."
In order to take get this job, I would have to basically drop out of school, so I think we know that I won't be doing that.
The job posting never explicitly mentioned that it was a full-time position, and even from my experiences, I never realised that it was that commitment, i guess I need to pay closer attention. I never had time to ask questions about the position before hand, and I think I had made assumptions about the job in place of asking questions anyway. In the end, if I had known the importance of availability for the job, I wouldn't have applied. Nevertheless, I did apply, and got myself excited about it to some degree, so there is still a small degree of disappointment. For what its worth, she told me that she will keep me in consideration for the future and that many opportunities will be available to me when I am out of school. Im not sure if this was meant to be a compliment or just what you say to an unsuccesful applicant.. probably somewhere in between.
It's on with life from here. Now I can get back to the immediate concerns of practicing and reading and composing and analysis... all the fun things I need to be doing at this point in life. In all honesty, I don't think I'm ready to sit down to a full time job anyway. If it had been more part time like I had envisioned it, I would have madew time for it, and gone crazy with business, all for the sake of making good money, but alas I am forced to live in that foreign world of logic and common sense..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, i'm so sorry you didn't get it! Well, i'm glad you're still in school tho, i would miss you!:(
I know that things will work out for you in the future - you're a great improviser, and you've proven yourself in the realms of ballet class accompaniment. In future years i hope you do apply again and do get in - i know you will! I have faith, my friend!!
So until then, enjoy the not-business world. Cuz you know we're waaay more fun then they are!!

Michael Park said...

I have a feeling that I didn't get it because I'm a man... just a hunch.. haha jk!