Thursday, January 05, 2006

I've been pantsed!!!

ok, i guess more accurately I have been panted.
A while ago, my jeans ripped in the crotch, and sewing really doesn't do much for jeans... so I've stopped wearing them.. most of the time...
Yesterday, I got a ride to school from dad, and as I sat down in the car, I heard a rip, my first thought was that it was the crotch *Looks between legs* but it was not so, it was atop my right leg... above the knee. A four-inch canyon of a rip! I caught a draght from the cold arctic wind we've been having here in Winnipeg (approx. -2 celcius) and realised it wasn't good. Nevertheless, I wasn't indecent (at least not my pants) so I went to school the way I was.
I went to the library, because Heather the librarian is always able to help me with whatever... usually library related, BUT i felt she could extend this to other areas of life. I asked if she had a little sewing kit, and she thought she did, but after looking, she couldn't find it. We settled for book binding tape. I put a strip on the inside of my pants and then on the outside which solved my problem for the day.
This could not be a permanant solution though, as black tape on light brown pants is not so pretty. I had to wear pants from one of my suits today to school(the comfy suit that i got for 8$ from a salvation army type store).
This evening, my dad took me pant shopping! I ended up buying jeans from Warehouse one... oh my gosh golly, there are entirely too many styles and cuts and types of jeans. Why can't they just have simple style names like "fat man pants" and "skinny man pants" rather than having names like Devon and Luke which have specific traits... I was confused.
I got my pant-pants from American Eagle... more money than my dad would have liked to spend, but they fit me perfectly. In fact, they fit just like the last pair I just broke yesterday.... perhaps because they are the exact same, just a darker colour. mmm corduroys! In all honesty, if they keep making the same style... I will have a pair of lifelong pants.. I'll just keep buying them when they rip *checks crotch*, I don't need variety..
So ya, other than pants, pretty uneventful day. I woke up twice. The first time was at 8am, and I called my prof to see if he got my email and hadn't replied, but he wasnt inhis office, so I left a message saying we would talk about a new time at another time, and ya. I don't feel too bad because we said we were changing time anyway, and I wasn't sure if he could even do that time. I went back to sleep and woke again at 11am, feeling much more rested.
When I made it to school, I returned cd's to the library, played through Chris's song for him... badly but it gave him an idea of it, I think he likes it, he said he did. I hope he likes it as much when he learns it... There is a fair amount of cross rhythm in it, which we had fun with when we did a Liszt song last year.
After Chris, I went and talked with my comp prof and we picked a new time, Monday's at 1:30. I gave him a copy of Chris's song for him to look over before next lesson. I'm still open to making changes and I'm needing feedback and pointers on notation... there's a lot to get to know.
I had a revelation.. ish today. Despite thoughts about academic studies and composition and all that, I have never mentioned anything to David.. I had always given him the impression that I wanted to aim at a performing carrer, with delusions of becoming a concert pianist. Today, there were some key things said that make me feel a lot better and solid about some things. After piano rep, we ended up talking about my paper that I wrote for him. He was very impressed and mentioned that it was incredibly clear and well written. He asked me if I enjoyed writing to which I replied that I did. I cant remember how he put it, but he encouraged me to give some thought to doing music writing or something. In response to this, I mentioned that i have been interested in some of the academic fields of music lately and it's definately possible. I also mentioned that I had come to the conclusion that I'm not going to become a concert pianist. Im not sure what I would have done if he said "Oh, yes you will mikey", I'd probably be filled with self doubt mixed with delusions and whatnot. Very tastefully he said that 'that assesment is probably accurate'. I respect him so much, and I could see how that could be crushing if the situations were different, but i've been secretly waiting and hoping for such a vote of non-confidence for a while, so that I can get over whatever delusions I've had.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not planning any drastic change, Im certainly not silly enough to stop playing because Im not going to be a performer. If anything, I'm going to work just as hard or harder to accomplish as much as I can in this undergrad performance degree. I think that today's discussion, however brief, has freed me of any self-imposed restrictions or limitations I have from 'what-ifs' or whatnot (tee hee, punny).
Alas, new pants, and a new lookout on my musical career.
Im also thinking of writing a book, have been for a while. There is NO book on playing piano for ballet class, NONE. I think that this is a book that needs to exist. At the same time, I still need to learn more about ballet. I have decided to put these tasks together. I want to put effort into learning about aspects of the class in detail and what kind of music would work and how it effects it. I think I will talk to some ballet teachers and see if they are willing to help me out... I can do it over a long term, even one class exercise a week. I can write out notes on the exercise from a ballet teacher's perspective and then eventually compile all the info into a textbook type thing. I think this will be a very good thing for me. If it works out super well, I will have made a lasting impression on part of the ballet world... and at the very least, I will learn more about what I do for ballet class, and will be able to make a better lasting impression on the kids and teachers with whom I work.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Heather. she's great. and i'm glad you've found her useful in areas of life other than books. (she's also very hillarious when it comes to playing trombone, as per my experiences from university band) but yay for fixing pants with tape. (you were so hot).
And yay for clarity.*secretly jealous* but i'm very happy for you.
Ooh ooh ooh, please write a book.
i would totally buy one. if it was autographed. for free. cuz i'm poor. and not as cool as you, cuz i'll never write a book. but yes.
autographed first copy is mine!!

Anonymous said...

These new pants better have holes for poking, or i'll just have to make some! What good are you and your pants if I can't hole-poke?? You have to write a book, with a picture of your face on the front with that same expression you did for that play I taped (Les Six, right?)And i'll write a book with my picture on the front, eating a mammoth muff!

Michael Park said...

Scarily enough, the hole poking comment wasn't enough to give away who this annonymous commenter was... I have quite a few fans of my holes.. nevertheless, thanks fi. The pants, like the other ones are sorta machine worn, so they will develop a wallet hole soon enough.... I still have sweater holes!