Sunday, January 15, 2006

Last night was the Opera Workshop preformance put on by the U of M Music people and whatnot. It was muchos entertainting. I love how they are able to make things so hilarious. I think it's out of necessity, because let's face it, we all know that the world at large is not an Opera inspired place. Those who really love Opera that much, are already in the program, or performing in operas.... most of the audience is fellow students and parents who can use a good chuckle to remind them that just because it's opera doesn't mean you have to be so snooty and serious.
Apprently said chuckles were well appreciated. Those of you who know me, know my laugh... i guess it's somewhat distinct.. perhaps even a little louder than the standard guffaw. At least half of the cast, afterwards, came to me to tell me that they could hear me in the audience. All of them said it in a way that made me think they enjoyed it... at least no one was like "wow, you were so tacky..." but i guess that would be a matter of tacty....
It was wonderful to see my friends doing something they love and having fun. and seeing quite a few people in hilarious drag never hurts anyone. I think my friend Andrea won for the best trouser role (out of all the crossdressers) because she didn't just rely on the costume to make the situation hilarious. In fact, the costuming looked pretty realistic, as far as trouser roles come. Nevertheless, every moment she was on the stage, she owned it, yet without taking attention away from the action or characters around her. Hats off to Andrea. The other cross roles were well done, and were hilarious on the costuming.... like when Lawrence was knitting... that had a special spot in my heart. And L and Chris's dancing... wow. But Chris, you are a damn ugly woman, just to let you know.
After that was the Opera workshop party. It was so much fun, just like the years before. Just like last year, there was henna, so I got a naked woman on my arm. Last year she was Ethel, this year, I named her Gertrude. We had so much fun with the henna.. poor little jonny.
Ya the party was fun, lots of music and good times, and food and stuff.
Anyway, I have stuff to do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my head.
And why does it say 'Rob was here' on my stomach? I'm so confused. Somebody fill me in on what happened last night.

Way to laugh, Mikey! It totally boosted the energy on stage. I never realised that an audience member could play such a pivotal role in helping our performance.

Anonymous said...

oh Jonny. you're priceless

I have pictures, i'll show them to you once they're developed. for sure. Because the writing on your stomach will fade, but my pictures will last long enough for the whole school to see.
Glad to hear you're alive at least!


Heh. Mikey's tacky laugh.
yess.

Michael Park said...

tee hee, jonny, don't worry. as long as i was there, nothing bad happened to you. Deena and I just had some fun with out when you tried to pass out on us... but that was only henna related. Im fairly certain that despite what it says on your stomach, Rob wasn't actually there.
The audience has such a power over performances. You can try to ignore it, but an empty hall can make you feel uninspired, and the energy from a full house is beyond words. I'm glad that I was able to play a small part in helping with the wonderful energy that was there last night.
tiff, 'once they're developed'... if ever... !

Anonymous said...

hey hey! not fair. it takes me forever to finish the film, that's why they always take so long. but i have like, 2 pictures left, so i'll bring my camera to school and use up the film. when they actually get developed is beyond me - it's hard when you have no access to a car. (yes, pity me)