Monday, January 09, 2006

Recital organization!

So, im getting organized for this recital thingy and I just typed up my recital program. The time requirement is something ridiculous like 'between 42 and 45 minutes of music". I read that and laughed at how specific it was... but it goes on to say the total time of the recital is to be no more than 60 minutes.. so ya5-8 minutes of clapping and walking on stage and stuff seems like an excess of wasted time.. but oh well.
Funny as it may be, my time estimates add up to exactly 43 minutes... and I didn't even have to doctor it at all. Im quite happy, it is going to be an incredibly well balanced program, if I do say so myself, which represents me quite well!
In terms of the organization, David wants me to be hyper organized for it... something I've never been. nevertheless, I actually sat down and did it today for some of the pieces and realized that its not as crazy as it sounds... well it is, but it makes sense.
I realised today that I have to have my entire Mozart sonata, as well as the Scriabin pieces learned and memorized and ready to play for the end of this month.. According to the organization calendar, I should be ready to play them in that state by the 18'th, a week from my next lesson.
This frightened me a little, so I wrote down some numbers to see if it is plausible.. some of the pieces are simply needing speed and accuracy to go along with it. These are the mozart turkish rondo and the Scirabin etude. the mozart will be fine, i made a note of how fast it needs to go, and reasonably... it will be easy to get there. The etude needs to increase by 8Beats per minute starting on wednesday, each day. This might be a challange.. theres bound to be a point at which it just doesn't want to get faster, and I have a feeling it will be before 154BPM, but that's alright. Other issues within the pieces are accuracy and memory. I've thought about them, and I'm going to need David's help devising a plan of attack, so yes, all will be well.
For the first round of the school's big performance competition, I need to have the mozart last movement, the scriabin pieces, and the Rach Prelude I played last term... Then a few days later, I will have to do the entire sonata. I think this will be a challange for me, but it will turn out well! Go positive thinking! The best part of this is that by the end of the month, I will be well prepared with over half of my recital. I just have to make sure that I also find time to put in work on the other parts of the recital, else it will be a bit of the scramble to also learn those works in less than a month... but i have made good strides already on the Brahms, and the PDQ is on the way... Bach needs some time and gentle lovin' but he will come around.
The moral of this story is that I am looking at this only from the angle of practicing... completely ignoring all other aspects of life. Hopefully life and homework and stuff won't get in the way yet... I want it all to work out just perfectly. I really do hope I will be well prepared a week and a bit in advance... but at the very least, this method will buy me an extra week and a bit to catch up! (Bad michael... be more responsible..) See, I'm finally my own conscience.
Good night world!

No comments: