Thursday, January 26, 2006

obliviosity

Sometimes, we miss the simple things in life... if you're me... you fail to take notice of some things that are so common and taken for granted that people won't even care to hear me say it... but I will anyway. The following is a short account of my obliviousity.
I came home tonight and saw a dark street, except for my front house light. It's not that there was a power outage, simply that other people didn't have lights left on. I'm not going to make this meaningful and say that i realised that my parents care for me and left it on for me.... I just now, finally, realised that lights go off at nighttime....
I have never walked in the house and thought, now that I am home, we don't need this outside light on anymore... I guess I don't seem to care about the waste of electricity, nope, i'm just oblivious to it. If the outside light goes off at night, it's because I have mashed the lightswitches to turn off the inside light, later on... which brings us to the next point:
I, after living here for 22 years and using the lights on a daily basis, still don't know which switch controls which light on either the front or back ones.... They each have 3 switches: one for the inside light, one for the outside, and the other is for the tv/vcr outlet(front) or the basement (back). I usually manage to avoid the tv one at the front, simply from learning from the mistake resulting in having to reset the VCR clock, but I couldn't tell you which one it is.
I don't really intend on fixing this major character flaw, but now that I know the outside light goes off at night, I might force myself to learn which one is it, so that I can turn it off upon my safe arrival home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's okay.
There is a panel in my house, with a switch, and then a knob, and then a switch. And i think it's the first switch that controls the dining room lights (there is also a switch for them at the top of the stairs, so i just always use that one). The knob controls the fan...somehow. not really sure how. no one really knows but dad. Cuz there was this one time during someone's birthday, mom went to turn the fan down for the birthday cake. but instead she turned it up, and all the candles went out.
As for the other knob, i've no idea. i think it may be a quick stop for the fan, but really, i'm totally clueless about it. I think no home is complete without random switches that people don't know how to work.
As for your parents leaving the light on for you - my parents always do that - what was really a landmark was when they finally stopped waiting up for me. It was cute an all, but i was 20, and i'd come in and say 'you didn't have to wait up for me' and my mom (with an exteremly tired looking face) would say 'oh, i wasn't waiting up. i...couldn't sleep.' riight. it was cute, i admit. But the light is a given - we're the only ones on that 'street' and thus it gets very very very dark. (and i'm afraid of the dark. and bears.)