Saturday, January 13, 2007

It's a good thing I had practiced for at least an hour yesterday morning/afternoon...
The plan last night was to go to the GroudSwell concert and then drop a composition friend off at her house on my way to practicing at the school. Unfortunately, it was 10:30 before we even left the concert... It was a very entertaining and enjoyable concert, but let's just say the scheduling/timing was not a tightly run ship.
Anyway, long story short: I got to the school and there were no cars in the parking lot that I recognized(there were all of 2 cars there) and no-one answered the F of M lounge phone, and I didn't feel like going to the security office in the cold, so I just went home and got a little bit of composition done.
Now, I'm at the point where I'm starting to input the sketch into my notation software. This involves decisions as to which voice is going to sing the motives that are unassigned in the score. I'm off to a good start, and I have a feeling that it will go quicker than I feared it would. The main thing is that I need to do that work as soon as I can possibly do it, so I can get to the finessing of the piece and not be in a rush.
I am officially reminding myself that I need to shift to the schedule of practicing during the daytime and composing during the evening/night. This way will save me gas money and transport time that would be necessary to practice late in the evening. Composing is quiet enough that I can do it as late as I want without bothering other people.
I fared quite well on practice room sign-ups. I got the prime time, and a few days I managed to use my 2 hours on either side of the recital time, meaning that if there is no recital, I have the room to myself for 3 solid hours! (but that's just 2 days a week) Other days, I made sure to find appropriate times, but ya, the good thing is that I know I have a room to practice in if I go to the school at those times. ie. I actually have a reason and motivation to go to school!
Tomorrow is Sunday, and my plan is to make best use of my home for practicing during the day. Everything in Bach needs to become much faster. The other day, I made good progress on the first movement's fugue, as long as that is presentable, I will be able to run the whole thing for David at my lesson. Then we will be able to get a vague idea of the time the piece will take, guesstimating for the non-up-to-tempo performance...

Tonight is the annual Opera Workshop performance, I'm very excited to see my friends performing together for the last time, well, at least the last time I will see them perform together. Also, is the annual afterparty chez Davey! He's had them I think 3 out of the 4 years, maybe even all 4, but they are always well put together and they serve as a great benchmark for looking back at my time in university. I don't even think I'm planning to drink, but we'll see later on. I'm not going to be driving, so there's nothing really holding me back. I have to figure out a way home, once again, we'll have to wait to see later on...

No comments: