Monday, January 01, 2007

Mmm, New Year's Day Dinner = yummy
also good is coming to St James while my parents were out and about today to practice. I also practiced for another hour and a half after dinner. I did o.k. with being efficient and productive with my time. I won't lie and say that I was good, but I revisited the Beethoven movements that I had been ignoring. They're not in great condition, but they're also not in terrible shape.

Now, I'm just waiting for my laundry to dry.
I'm listening to the slow movment of Beethoven's Archduke Trio. On David's advice, I've been listening to a fair bit of Beethoven's music ca op.100 to try and understand the slow movement of the sonata I'm playing. It's very slow and short and it's actually challenging my musicality.
Go here to read quite a good write up on the sonata itself. If you don't want to go, here's a short excerpt that I think describes the challenges ahead of me:
"The work’s wonderfully romantic opening movement has attracted many a would-be student but, time and again, the ensuing difficulties, both technical and musical, have deterred all but the most stout-hearted. To this day, it is regarded as one of the least accessible of Beethoven’s piano sonatas."
I am really enjoying learning the piece because of the challenges. Usually, my only challenges lie in the technical elements of pieces that I'm learning. Its wonderful to actually have to do something to understand/portray the musical and expressive elements of a piece.
Anyway, I won't blab on too much.
Tomorrow is my last day of not doing much. On wednesday the school is opened again and I will have to do lots of practicing that day as well as I have to take my scores to be bound for the UAlberta application.
Oh, when I get home tonight, I will have to do some serious work on the choral piece. I did have one day where I made a lot of progress, but that was not enough. I need more more more!

1 comment:

JonnyTalbs said...

Funny you mention Beethoven cause I'm listening to him right now! I bought my dad all nine of his symphonies for christmas for the low low price of 9.99 at Sprawl-mart! I half expected them to be crappy recordings with a poor orchestra but surprisingly they're not that bad.