Thursday, January 11, 2007

Piano lesson - Not great, not bad. Like I knew, things didn't sound good, but he thinks I have a good sense of how the Bach pieces should go, but they were too slow to really tell. My goal is to have the entire suite at a suitable tempo next week so I can play them and they'll sound like something... that will at least take up half an hour of my lesson, probably more if they aren't up to tempo.
The Beethoven, I played the one page and he said it was to slow to even make any comment on it, but reminded me to be consistent in the staccatos.

Composition lesson went well. He was happy with the detail of my 'sketch'of the piece.... he said I have everything there except for the piece itself.
He laughed openly at my terrible poetry...which is very funny because it is so horrible.. that is the point. The poetry/rhyme is to introduce the chocolate chip cookie song:

On a cool summer's afternoon,
Dad's outside a rakin',
When mommma ties her apron on,
you know that she'll be bakin'.

She searches through a pile
of her fav'rite recipe bookies,
And then she finds the perfect one;
For chocolate chip cookies.

-Michael Park


I know, I should really get awards for my stellar poetic nature! haha I'm especially proud of how I rhymed cookies with book-ies!
Anyway, I'm starting now to notate the piece on the computer... that means I'm going to have to make some very finikky and precise decisions about how I want the piece to be.

I also started printing out the stuff I'm going to need to get bound for my portfolios , and started to get things in line for the remaining applications I have:Western and U of M. I also have to get the portfolios ready for those two and for UBC.
Like I saidin the last post, this is going to be a hellish month with the paperwork as well as learning piano music and getting things up to tempo.

Tomorrow is the last day of my playing for the modern dance classes. Apparently it's a fairly big deal that I was called to accompany these morning classes, I guess they don't ask just anyone. I wonder who has been putting in the good word for me... Nevertheless, I'm greatful to have gotten this opportunity, and I'm also very happy to have made a good first impression.

Anyway, I should get to sleep soon.

1 comment:

Sir James Eric Watkins said...

Hello.

I am James.

Writers, poets, and artists of all kind are welcome: www.promiseoflight.org