Monday, January 15, 2007

So the appointments today went well enough...
Nurse Educator -
Bad start, she didn't lecture me, she just disapproved of a bunch of stuff right off the hop:
-I didn't keep a log book- this is a big no-no, as there's no way to see patters in my control... blah blah blah...
- next, she didn't even respond to the joke I had prepared.
[They always ask about injection sites, and which you are using. my response was that I usually take them in my arm, sometimes my stomach, and if it's not socialy awkward, I like to take it in the bum!]
NOTHING!!! How do you not laugh, or at least smirk when someone makes a comment like that... anyway, I'll try it again in May when I have my next doctor's appointment.
-She hardcore disapproved of both my use of syringes (implying that everything can and should be done with the pen technologies) as well as my use of normal length needles. She explained that even morbidly obese people can use short needles without having any effect on how the insulin is absorbed. She proceeded to look at me like a retarded donkey when I wasn't immediately convinced.
On the positive, I learned that needles shouldn't hurt and some new techniques on giving injections more painlessly. Apparently, I've been shooting into blood vessels which slows downt he absorption and causes bleeding and bruises.

Dietician - This was the one where I was expecting to get the lecture, but nope. She was super nice and friendly and completely non-judgemental. Basically all she had to say was to eat homemade food more often and to be more active. Rather than lecturing me about these, she gave me a multitude of excuses for why they're difficult... anyway, that was not so effective on her part, but I will try to make said improvements nevertheless.

All in all, the moral of the day is that I need to start keeping a logbook of sugars and carbs. Done, I started today, and I will continue forever.

The educator and I also talked a bit about using an insulin pump. Keeping in mind that it's not a financial possibility at this point, she was optimistic that I can probably do better using the MDI(multiple daily injections) approach than most, so I should stick with it and just refine some things. Done, Look at me, I'm refining!

No comments: